Friday, September 26, 2014

Pssshhh click

That was the sound of my favourite shoe.

Pssshhh click
Pssshhh click
Pssshhh click
Pssshhh click

It was like stepping on a teeny tiny whoopie cushion with every left step.

Pssshhh

And then the sound of a tiny nail with the right.

click

Pssshhh click
Pssshhh click

More annoying to me than anyone else, I hope, but I love those shoes.  They were comfortable right from the store, as if I'd already worn them in.

Then this summer the sound changed.  I didn't know why the difference, but now they sound like really loud flip flops.  Still really comfortable, open toe, a good match for most of my summer work clothes.

So I wore them.  A lot.  And everyone could hear me coming down the hall for my morning coffee. And then again for my coffee refill.  And sometimes in the afternoon just one more time.

Flip flip flip flip flip

I had to change my route.  I was sure no one liked the sound and maybe I don't need everyone to know exactly how many cups of coffee I drink.   If I cut through the open area by the elevators, I could enter near the kitchen and just pass two admins instead of going down the long corridor of cubicles filled with employees.

Fine.  New route selected.  Fewer people bothered.  I still wore my favourite shoes and had my coffee.

This morning I discovered why my shoes didn't Pssshhh click anymore.

It was a different pair!  My other favourite shoes had been buried beneath the rain boots all summer and I've missed a whole season of wearing them.

They are red, not black.  I'm assuming they still Psshhh click, but it's raining today so I didn't wear them.   That's why I lifted the rubber boots out of the box in the first place.

Next year I'm going to Pssshhh click down the corrider and enjoy my red shoes.

No comments: